Why Are You So Happy All The Time?

I honestly get this question a lot so I decided to write a blog post about it. At first I used to be dumbfounded by this question. "Why are you so happy all the time?" I would simply answer "I have the joy of the Lord and learning to stay joyful in positive in situations takes practice." I didn't just wake up like this one day. Actually, when I was younger I was the exact opposite! People used to call me "Meany Mina" (Mina being my middle name). I used to be so bitter, angry, selfish and mean all the time.

As I got older I began to be more polite, warm, and more generous. Being selfish is something I still had to work on because everything I did had to benefit me (TRANSPARENCY). I'm just being honest. But as I've gotten older I've started learning what it means to be selfless and why it's so important. To be honest I've learned selflessness from my parents because that's exactly what parents do. They choose the interest of their children over their own interests.
Anyway, this seriously took practice. I strongly highlight the fact that you feel how you THINK. If you always have negative thoughts you will constantly be feeling and acting in a negative way. Getting to know Christ for myself has caused me to see the bright-side in all situations and reminded me that love bears all things ( 1 Cor 13:7). It bears under all things and everything.
Wouldn't you rather be happy other than miserable all the time? I mean, I definitely choose joy over sorrow. Up until last year, this was another story. I just LOVED wallowing in self-pity and pain. If I had a bad day I would point out even the slightest thing that could be considered bad and just think about how my day was just so horrible. You know when someone enjoys being miserable? When you offer them kind words and solutions to their problems and they rather say "but... (enter excuse here)" and just look for ways as to why your solutions won't work. Behind it all, all their just saying is "No, I want to wallow in my pain and self-pity and I just want to talk to you about it for you to feel bad for me."  Being stressed out and miserable takes too my energy and places too much stress on your body. It's even unhealthy for you! I decided to choose joy because  misery took too much work!
Most importantly once I decided to get to know Christ for myself it was hard not to be more joyful than anything else. After all, I've been saved from destruction and death, isn't that something to rejoice about? :D :D
Don't get me wrong though. There truly are days when being joyful is extremely hard and even days when joy is actually inappropriate. I'm not sure when I heard that someone close to me died and I decided to do my happy dance. There's a time for everything (Ecclesiastes 3:1). I just don't try to drag out times of sorrow and pain. However, I just want to reiterate that I am still a human being and being happy 24/7 is somewhat unrealistic. I do have my days, I do have my struggles just like everyone else. Sometimes I just want someone to listen to me you know?  I remember the just 2 days ago I finished making this really nice dinner. I had my pasta salad with  a spaghetti chicken scampi with some delicious chicken breast. I was cutting the chicken breast near the edge of the counter and my entire meal & plate fell on the floor. I mentally planned out this dinner and everything! It actually took me about 10 seconds for it to register that my food was on the floor. Talk about a time to be happy. I just looked up at my ceiling like "Wow Lord, this actually hurts! I'm so hungry! Like, I don't even know what to say." Then I just screamed out a "Praise the Lord!" while throwing the food away. It has become a habit to praise Him even in challenging situations. I then thanked Him for even having food to prepare and having some extra pasta in the fridge and thanked Him for still being there. When I tell you it honestly hurt though! I was like "Man, this is, I don't even know." But I just prayed for God to take my mind off of it and look at the bright side and I'm still here right! I didn't die. I just had a minor setback. Either way God is too good, I can't go and question Him. Granted if this happened last year I probably would've shed a couple of tears no lie, I love me some food! LOL. But I just hope to encourages you and blesses you to constantly tap into the joy of the Lord. It's there, waiting for you to use it! I love you all so so much !


Smile, Be HAPPY !

Comments

Popular Posts