How I Made it Through my Semester (FALL 2015)

This semester, I finally took the step to abandon being a Physical Therapy as well as a Christian Counseling major because Science really isn't my thing. Yes being a Nurse, Doctor, or Physical Therapist would be great for financial stability, but I just didn't have it in me.
Even though abandoning my science major was tough since science was all I knew, it was so relieving because no matter how hard I studied, it would not be evident in my grades! College is the only place where I've learned that you can study your brains out and still not do that well. I've learned that throughout many of my science courses.



As students, we all know that when you do well you feel good. You are more motivated to do better and it's a chain reaction. The same goes for when you do poorly. You grow discouraged, are no longer motivated, and just end up giving up.  Well, back to what I titled this post to be "How I Made it Through My Semester" LOL. There are many ways in which I made it successfully through this semester,

Most importantly, PRAYER. We all can get annoyed with the fact that prayer is the answer to our success and blessings but it's really true. John Wesley said "God will do nothing except in answer to prayer." I made up my mind that as much as I studied, I must intentionally spend quality time with my God.

Great relationships
My pastor & First lady - Unlce Joe & Aunty Mary
I had my church family take me in. Bi-weekly and sporadically, Uncle Joe and Aunty Mary opened their home to me and my sisters. We would be able to do our laundry (for free woohoo! LOL), spend time away from campus, have an open kitchen to cook and eat whatever, and have a home to roam freely in. They made sure that whatever we needed, they would be able to help us. Uncle Joe reminded us how college is a 4 year experience and he will do anything he can to make it 4 years, nothing more LOL.

Tumi, Annie, Sakenim, Daniel, Bright, Victor, Pastor Wonder, David, & More.  I would pray Tuesdays at 8:30 with my girl Sakes and have spiritual convos and prayer meetings with those named above. I'm so grateful for my brothers and sisters in Christ!


My First Lady
She's my mother. Whenever I needed encouragement, she was there for me. She's a woman of fire who would cover me! During finals week, she gave me a word to praise dance in my room in the middle of studying and my miracle will come through that. I took heed to her word and boy oh boy, God showed up!!


Prayer Lines w| Lesley & Pastor Dominic
Their prayer lines kept my fire burning!! From 5am to 12am, I was understanding the importance of sacrificing my sleep to seek the face of God. So grateful for them and their ministry. Love you guys!!


Dean Boyd
Timothy Mentoring Group has changed my life for the better! Every Tuesday @ 9pm, I would be found in Zoppelt getting fed by our Dean of Spiritual Formation. Questions that we all need answers to but were to embarrassed to ask, were tackled with evidence in the Word of God. This was my weekly breath of fresh air. No matter how much work I had, I always made it a point to come out because the wisdom that was released was too important to miss out on. If you were ever looking for a mentoring group to grow in, Timothy Mentoring Group would be a perfect place for you. I never leave the same way I came in.

STUDY, STUDY, STUDY
I have never studied so much in my life!!! There would be times that I would want to take a nap or just give up but 2 Timothy 2:15 says "Study to show thyself approved" would constantly ring in my mind. When I would lack motivation I would remember that "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31) and when I study to the glory of God it has to be my best. This hard work done for the Lord will never be pointless or in vain, (1 Corinthians 15:58) would be the icing to the cake. The Word of God is so powerful! It can be applied to every area of your life, including your academics. God is Lord of your life and even your academics. Good grades will be pleasing to God so I prayed that whenever I studied, the Holy Spirit would be my teacher of all things (John 14:26). That the Holy Spirit would lead me to what I needed to study and help me to dissect, understand, & retain all of the information I studied.


Declarations
My friend Sakenim got me in the habit of declaring over myself every morning in the mirror. I declared that the spirit of wisdom, good counsel, understanding, revelation, strength, the fear of the Lord, knowledge (SEVEN SPIRITS OF GOD), excellence, and diligence is upon me. That I am fearfully and wonderfully made, God loves me and will use me for His Glory, I am more than a conqueror in Christ Jesus, I am the righteousness of God and I am a great and mighty warrior in Christ. This has changed my entire life like I never would've imagined. 


The Favor & Grace of God
I couldn't do any of this by myself. God granted me favor with my professors and allowed me to do things that I couldn't do in my own strength. I put my hope in His grace abounding in all of my classes, waking up every morning, praying for laying and serving in Church while juggling school activities. 

 This semester I grew in wisdom (1.0) and stature (2.0) and in favor (3.0) with God and man (4.0).. God is forever faithful and all of the glory belongs to Him. AMEN!





My finals songs





Comments

  1. You are just all types of awesome. God bless your beautiful soul

    ReplyDelete
  2. O wow...Congrats Desiree!...You are indeed a lady of substance. Been blessed by just reading your testimony and also encouraged..Keep the fire burning

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love you.. Thank you for the sweet words, i can't wait to see, what God has for us next semester....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes sister. Stay motivated and keep praying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes sister. Stay motivated and keep praying!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts